There are all kinds of discussions out on the web about the best cornbread. Actually, cornbread is quite personal with most Southerners, my Mama included. She wanted absolutely no sugar in her cornbread. I on the other hand like just a little sugar. Then you have those who want their cornbread so sweet, it tastes like a breakfast muffin. And then there’s the consistency variable. I want my cornbread to stay together and I like and semi dense cornbread. Some like a cake like cornbread. Those recipes usually call for 2 eggs. Mine calls for 1 egg. So here’s my favorite cornbread recipe, and since, I’m the author, it will have a little sugar. You can always reduce, delete, or increase the sugar according to your personal preference. Besides having a great flavor and texture, I always have the ingredients on hand, and it’s quick, easy!
- ¼ c. salted butter
- 1 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 1¼ c. yellow cornmeal
- 1 c. All Purpose flour
- 1 T Baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T sugar
Find our products in a store near you
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Coat a 9″ round or 8″ X 8″ square oven proof pan with a vegetable spray. (I used a round stone pie plate which made a nice crust. You can use a greased iron skillet if you prefer. Some cooks will let their iron skillet get hot in the oven while it is preheating. Some will put oil in the skillet to heat and some will put in bacon grease. Do not preheat stone or glass pans as the cold batter could crack the dish when poured in.)
- In a glass bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Whisk in the milk and egg.
- Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Stir until batter is just mixed together. It will be lumpy.
- Scrape into pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.