Tamale Layered Dip
You may remember our Tamale Pie. This recipe called for our Tamale pie as the bottom layer. But, alas! Tamale Pie is no longer much to the chagrin of our Tamale Pie customers and my daughter, Annaleigh. This was her absolutely favorite dish and recipe from No Time 2 Cook. So back to the kitchen for me to come up with a recipe for the bottom tamale layer. I adjusted the recipe to make it easy to prepare using simple ingredients, and here it is! The general consensus–this Tamale Layered Dip is just as good if not better than the original.
BTW: Not only is this a great appetizer for a crowd, but you can also serve it up for a casual dinner at home. If the filling makes too much for your family, reduce the recipe or better yet, freeze the unused tamale filling to pull out one night when you have no time 2 cook.
12 for appetizers; 6 for dinner
- 1# ground chuck
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-10 oz. cn. Rotel tomatoes
- 1-cn. pinto beans, undrained
- 1/2 c. Masa Herina or white cornmeal (You can find masa in the Mexican section of your grocery)
- 1/4 c. or 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 2 c. water
- salt to taste
Other layering ingredients
- 8 oz. Sour cream
- 8 oz. Guacamole or 4-5 ripe avocados mashed
- 8 oz. Chunky Salsa, drained
- 1/2 head Lettuce or bag of preshredded (only buy the bag if it is very fresh and you plan to use immediately)
- 8 oz. Sharp Cheddar cheese – Grated
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped or 1 c. Pico de gallo
- 2 Green onions – Chopped
- 4 oz. can sliced black olives – drained
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1bag large Frito Corn Chips – Family size bag
Find our products in a store near you
- Brown ground meat and onion. (Click here to see my method for browning ground beef in the oven)
- Add Rotel and pinto beans. Stir.
- Sprinkle Masa Herina and taco seasoning over mixture and stir in
- Add water and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes
- Season with salt to taste
- Note: Mashing some of the pinto beans will create a thicker creamier layer
- Allow this to cool a bit before layering with other ingredients
- Spread tamale mixture on bottom of large serving dish. Allow to cool a bit before adding the other layers.
- Mix sour cream, guacamole, and drained salsa together. Spread over tamale filling.
- Garnish with shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes or Pico, green onions, sliced black olives, and cilantro
- Serve with Large Fritos.