Milky Way Cake
This Milky Way Cake was our best selling dessert in the early days of No Time 2 Cook, and the the most requested recipe from our customers. I also love this cake recipe made in a Bundt pan with no icing. Oh my! So hard to choose! You can see my Bundt pan method by clicking here.
By the way, we make EVERYTHING from scratch!
- 10 oz. Milky Way Bars (About 5 1/2 Bars)
- 3/4 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 t. pure vanilla
- 1 T cocoa
- 1 3/4 cup All Purpose flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. Salt (if using unsalted butter then 1 t.)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (Optional)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 1/2 T cocoa
- 1 t. pure vanilla
- dash of salt if using unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Additional ingredients if making this cake in a Bundt pan with no icing
- Shortening (like Crisco)
- granulated sugar
- powdered sugar
Find our products in a store near you
- In a non-stick skillet, slowly melt 10 oz. (about 5.5) Milky Way bars and 3/4 stick butter. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In mixer, cream 1 1/2 sticks butter with 1.33 c. sugar and beat well until sugar and butter are fluffy.
- Add 3 eggs and 2 t. vanilla
- Slowly add slightly cooled Milky Way mixture into mixer.
- Sift together dry ingredients: 1 3/4 c. flour, 1 T cocoa, 1/2 t. baking soda, and ½ t. salt.
- Alternate mixing dry ingredients and 1 c. buttermilk into mixer ending with buttermilk. Beat well.
- Pour into greased 9” X 13” metal baking pan
- ½ c. chopped walnuts can be sprinkled over cake batter, or stirred into cake batter before pouring into pan. Another option is to stir walnuts into icing or sprinkle over top of cake after it is iced.
- Melt 1 stick butter in large boiler
- Add 2 ½ T cocoa, 1 t. vanilla, dash of salt, and 1/3 c. milk
- Simmer on low for 5 minutes
- Measure 3 cups powdered sugar in mixer and slowly add melted chocolate beating until smooth
- Ice this cake while it is still warm
Pound Cake Instructions for Bundt pan with no icing
- Using a paper towel or your fingers, coat bundt pan completely with shortening.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of granulated sugar in pan and shake over a sink (this step is messy) until all shortening is completely covered with sugar
- Spoon batter carefully into pan pushing batter up into corners
- Place in cool oven and turn temp. to 300 degrees.
- Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- Move to a serving plate
- Dust with powdered sugar shaking through a sieve for even distribution.